Greek Potato & Feta Omelet
Potatoes have a special affinity with eggs. If you keep frozen hash browns on hand (check the label and choose hash browns with less than 1 gram of fat per serving), you can whip up a simple, satisfying omelet like this one at a moment's notice. To cut back on saturated fat, use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes, or cooked potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, shaking the pan and tossing the potatoes, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Blend eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in feta and the potato mixture.
- Preheat broiler. Brush the pan with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil; heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and tilt to distribute evenly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the bottom is light golden, lifting the the edges to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the pan under the broiler and cook until the top is set, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Slide the omelet onto a plate and cut into wedges.
Per serving: 294 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 380 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 3 g fiber; 433 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch; 2 medium-fat meat; 1 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day