Grapefruit, Hearts of Palm & Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Serve this grapefruit, hearts of palm and shrimp salad for lunch or as an appetizer. This shrimp salad recipe is low in calories, light and satisfying. Hearts of palm are the tender inner stem of certain species of palm trees, with a flavor similar to artichokes. Find them near other canned vegetables.
- 4 red or pink grapefruit, segmented (see below)
- 8 ounces peeled cooked small shrimp (71-90 count; see Tip)
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- After segmenting grapefruit, squeeze the juice from the membrane into the bowl. Add shrimp, hearts of palm, cilantro, onion, olives and salt; stir to combine. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make one pound. For example, “21-25 count” means there will be 21 to 25 shrimp in a pound. Size names, such as “large” or “extra large,” are not standardized, so to get the size you want, order by the count per pound. Both wild-caught and farm-raised shrimp can damage the surrounding ecosystems when not managed properly. Fortunately, it is possible to buy shrimp that have been raised or caught with sound environmental practices. Look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 175 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 580 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (139% daily value), Vitamin A (62% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013