Grapefruit, Hearts of Palm & Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Serve this grapefruit, hearts of palm and shrimp salad for lunch or as an appetizer. This shrimp salad recipe is low in calories, light and satisfying. Hearts of palm are the tender inner stem of certain species of palm trees, with a flavor similar to artichokes. Find them near other canned vegetables.
- 4 red or pink grapefruit, segmented (see below)
- 8 ounces peeled cooked small shrimp (71-90 count; see Tip)
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- After segmenting grapefruit, squeeze the juice from the membrane into the bowl. Add shrimp, hearts of palm, cilantro, onion, olives and salt; stir to combine. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make one pound. For example, “21-25 count” means there will be 21 to 25 shrimp in a pound. Size names, such as “large” or “extra large,” are not standardized, so to get the size you want, order by the count per pound. Both wild-caught and farm-raised shrimp can damage the surrounding ecosystems when not managed properly. Fortunately, it is possible to buy shrimp that have been raised or caught with sound environmental practices. Look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 175 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 580 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (139% daily value), Vitamin A (62% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013