Grapefruit, Hearts of Palm & Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Serve this grapefruit, hearts of palm and shrimp salad for lunch or as an appetizer. This shrimp salad recipe is low in calories, light and satisfying. Hearts of palm are the tender inner stem of certain species of palm trees, with a flavor similar to artichokes. Find them near other canned vegetables.
- 4 red or pink grapefruit, segmented (see below)
- 8 ounces peeled cooked small shrimp (71-90 count; see Tip)
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- After segmenting grapefruit, squeeze the juice from the membrane into the bowl. Add shrimp, hearts of palm, cilantro, onion, olives and salt; stir to combine. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make one pound. For example, “21-25 count” means there will be 21 to 25 shrimp in a pound. Size names, such as “large” or “extra large,” are not standardized, so to get the size you want, order by the count per pound. Both wild-caught and farm-raised shrimp can damage the surrounding ecosystems when not managed properly. Fortunately, it is possible to buy shrimp that have been raised or caught with sound environmental practices. Look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 175 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 580 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (139% daily value), Vitamin A (62% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013