Grapefruit, Hearts of Palm & Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Serve this grapefruit, hearts of palm and shrimp salad for lunch or as an appetizer. This shrimp salad recipe is low in calories, light and satisfying. Hearts of palm are the tender inner stem of certain species of palm trees, with a flavor similar to artichokes. Find them near other canned vegetables.
- 4 red or pink grapefruit, segmented (see below)
- 8 ounces peeled cooked small shrimp (71-90 count; see Tip)
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- After segmenting grapefruit, squeeze the juice from the membrane into the bowl. Add shrimp, hearts of palm, cilantro, onion, olives and salt; stir to combine. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make one pound. For example, “21-25 count” means there will be 21 to 25 shrimp in a pound. Size names, such as “large” or “extra large,” are not standardized, so to get the size you want, order by the count per pound. Both wild-caught and farm-raised shrimp can damage the surrounding ecosystems when not managed properly. Fortunately, it is possible to buy shrimp that have been raised or caught with sound environmental practices. Look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 175 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 580 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (139% daily value), Vitamin A (62% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2013