From EatingWell: March 1998
Tart grapefruit juice and fresh mint invigorate the taste buds.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ruby-red grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallots and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk broth, grapefruit juice, 1 tablespoon mint and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and spoon over the chicken. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 181 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March 1998