From EatingWell: March 1998
Tart grapefruit juice and fresh mint invigorate the taste buds.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ruby-red grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallots and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk broth, grapefruit juice, 1 tablespoon mint and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and spoon over the chicken. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 181 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March 1998