From EatingWell: March 1998
Tart grapefruit juice and fresh mint invigorate the taste buds.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ruby-red grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallots and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk broth, grapefruit juice, 1 tablespoon mint and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and spoon over the chicken. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 181 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)