Grapefruit Rounds with Halloumi Cheese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
In this beautiful grapefruit salad recipe we pair the salty flavor of halloumi cheese with sweet-tart ruby grapefruit and aromatic mint. Halloumi cheese has a texture similar to mozzarella, but it browns rather than melts when it is heated. Look for halloumi in tubs or airtight packs near other imported cheese in large supermarkets.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 thin slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the grapefruit; remove any seeds. Slice each grapefruit into 4 rounds.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cheese and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- To serve, place 2 grapefruit rounds on each plate and top each with a piece of the cheese. Drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 221 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2013