Grapefruit Rounds with Halloumi Cheese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
In this beautiful grapefruit salad recipe we pair the salty flavor of halloumi cheese with sweet-tart ruby grapefruit and aromatic mint. Halloumi cheese has a texture similar to mozzarella, but it browns rather than melts when it is heated. Look for halloumi in tubs or airtight packs near other imported cheese in large supermarkets.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 thin slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the grapefruit; remove any seeds. Slice each grapefruit into 4 rounds.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cheese and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- To serve, place 2 grapefruit rounds on each plate and top each with a piece of the cheese. Drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 221 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2013