Grapefruit Rounds with Halloumi Cheese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
In this beautiful grapefruit salad recipe we pair the salty flavor of halloumi cheese with sweet-tart ruby grapefruit and aromatic mint. Halloumi cheese has a texture similar to mozzarella, but it browns rather than melts when it is heated. Look for halloumi in tubs or airtight packs near other imported cheese in large supermarkets.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 thin slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the grapefruit; remove any seeds. Slice each grapefruit into 4 rounds.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cheese and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- To serve, place 2 grapefruit rounds on each plate and top each with a piece of the cheese. Drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 221 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Making a satisfying, low-calorie dinner is easy with our one-...
It’s easy to make a healthy dinner recipe without dirtying...
Grab a box of your favorite whole-wheat linguine or penne...
Good news for people who eat breakfast—they tend to weigh...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
Cutlets—typically a thin slice of meat cut from the rib...
Whether you’re watching your finances or just trying to put a...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
There is no room for a roast that's anything less than...
Chocolate is such a rich and indulgent treat it almost seems...
Creamy blue cheese isn’t just for salads and dressing anymore...
Chopped, layered, pulsed or stirred, these easy dips are...
Ginger pairs well with soy sauce, chile peppers and garlic,...
Our healthy pumpkin dessert recipes are lighter twists on the...
A popular meat around the globe, lamb is raised and consumed...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2013