Grapefruit Rounds with Halloumi Cheese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
In this beautiful grapefruit salad recipe we pair the salty flavor of halloumi cheese with sweet-tart ruby grapefruit and aromatic mint. Halloumi cheese has a texture similar to mozzarella, but it browns rather than melts when it is heated. Look for halloumi in tubs or airtight packs near other imported cheese in large supermarkets.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 thin slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the grapefruit; remove any seeds. Slice each grapefruit into 4 rounds.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cheese and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- To serve, place 2 grapefruit rounds on each plate and top each with a piece of the cheese. Drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 221 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013