Grapefruit Rounds with Halloumi Cheese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
In this beautiful grapefruit salad recipe we pair the salty flavor of halloumi cheese with sweet-tart ruby grapefruit and aromatic mint. Halloumi cheese has a texture similar to mozzarella, but it browns rather than melts when it is heated. Look for halloumi in tubs or airtight packs near other imported cheese in large supermarkets.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 thin slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the grapefruit; remove any seeds. Slice each grapefruit into 4 rounds.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cheese and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- To serve, place 2 grapefruit rounds on each plate and top each with a piece of the cheese. Drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 221 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013