Grapefruit Rounds with Halloumi Cheese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
In this beautiful grapefruit salad recipe we pair the salty flavor of halloumi cheese with sweet-tart ruby grapefruit and aromatic mint. Halloumi cheese has a texture similar to mozzarella, but it browns rather than melts when it is heated. Look for halloumi in tubs or airtight packs near other imported cheese in large supermarkets.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 thin slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the grapefruit; remove any seeds. Slice each grapefruit into 4 rounds.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cheese and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- To serve, place 2 grapefruit rounds on each plate and top each with a piece of the cheese. Drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon mint.
Per serving: 221 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2013