Grapefruit Chicken Satay Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
This tossed salad borrows the basic flavors of Thai satay and turns them into a rich and satisfying entree salad.
- 2 large pink or ruby-red grapefruits
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 8 cups roughly chopped romaine lettuce, (about 2 hearts)
- 1 cup sliced radishes, (about 8 radishes)
- With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith from grapefruits and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membranes, letting them drop into a small bowl. Working over a large bowl, squeeze the remaining membranes to extract the juice. Set the segments and juice aside separately.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan or baking sheet with foil.
- Toss chicken, dry mustard, garlic powder, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, pepper and salt in a large bowl until the chicken is well coated. Place on the prepared pan in a single layer.
- Broil the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar and hot sauce into the reserved grapefruit juice until smooth. Add the cooked chicken and lettuce; toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with radishes and the reserved grapefruit segments.
Per serving: 310 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 641 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Vitamin C (120% dv), Folate (45% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2007