Pink Grapefruit & Avocado Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This is a special-occasion salad that pairs grapefruit segments with creamy avocado, pungent red onion, crunchy pomegranate seeds and aromatic, herby basil. Look for grapefruit with firm, shiny skin that are heavy for their size, which means they will have lots of juice. Store grapefruit for 1 week at room temperature or 1 month in the refrigerator.
- 1/2 cup halved and very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 small red or pink grapefruit
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (see Tips)
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 8 small leaves Boston lettuce
- Place onion in a small bowl of cold water to soak. Set aside.
- Finely grate 1 teaspoon zest (see Tips) and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from lemon. Whisk the zest and juice, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Peel grapefruit with a sharp knife, removing all peel and white pith. Working over the large bowl, cut the segments from the surrounding membranes and let them drop into the bowl. Squeeze the peels and membranes over the bowl to extract all the juice before discarding them. Halve, peel and pit avocado. Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then cut the slices in half. Gently stir the avocado and pomegranate seeds into the grapefruit mixture.
- Finely slice basil and drain the onion; gently stir into the grapefruit mixture. Arrange lettuce leaves on 4 salad plates, top with the grapefruit mixture and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Fill a large bowl with water. Lightly score the fruit into quarters from crown to stem end, cutting through the skin but not into the interior. Hold it under water and break it apart. Use your hands to separate the seeds (arils) from the outer skin and white pith. The seeds will drop to the bottom of the bowl and the pith will float to the surface. Discard the pith. Drain the seeds in a colander.
- When we call for citrus zest (i.e., 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest) we are referring to the finely grated outer rind (not including the white pith) of the citrus fruit. Use a microplane grater or the smallest holes of a box grater to grate the zest. In some cases we call for long strips or threads of zest. To get long strips, peel the citrus with a vegetable peeler. To remove long threads, use a 5-hole citrus zester or remove long strips of zest with a vegetable peeler, then use a knife to cut into very thin strips.
Per serving: 184 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 591 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (107% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Folate (22% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)