Grape Jello Jigglers
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Forget the artificial colors and flavors–our hand-held grape jello jiggler is made with fruit juice and packed with apples and grapes–a treat you can feel good about eating.
- 2 cups white grape juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold purple grape juice or additional white grape juice
- 1 medium red apple, diced
- 1 cup diced green and red seedless grapes
- Bring 2 cups white grape juice to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Meanwhile, pour water into a large heatproof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over the water; let stand for 3 minutes. Add the juice and stir to completely dissolve the gelatin, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sugar and stir for 1 minute to dissolve. Whisk in purple grape (or additional white grape) juice.
- Refrigerate until the mixture is the consistency of thin pudding and is just starting to set around the edges, 1 to 1 3/4 hours. The time will vary depending on the size of your bowl and how cold your refrigerator is. After 1 hour, start checking every 5 to 10 minutes because it thickens quickly after that.
- Gently but thoroughly whisk the mixture until it’s uniform. Stir in diced fruit. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap, without touching the jello.
- Refrigerate until very firm, about 3 hours. To test if it’s ready, touch it with your finger. If your finger does not stick, it’s done.
- Run a small, sharp knife around the edge of the pan. Cut into 16 squares then gently pry the squares out with a butter knife.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days; unmold just before serving.
Per serving: 56 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (24% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- September/October 2012