Crunchy Granola Wedges
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This recipe was inspired by chef Lars Kronmark’s granola wedges from the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. Substitute your favorite fruit, nuts and/or seeds for the sunflower seeds and/or dried cranberries in these granola bars.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread oats, wheat flakes and seeds (or nuts) on a baking sheet. Bake until fragrant and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Cook 1/2 cup honey in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, without stirring, until large foamy bubbles form and it starts to darken at the edges, 2 to 4 minutes. (The bubbles will start out small and increase to about 3/4 inch or larger when the honey’s done.)
- Immediately pour the toasted oat mixture into the honey, add cranberries and salt and stir until completely coated. Quickly press the granola into the prepared pie pan using a heat-resistant spatula coated with cooking spray. Let cool for 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Shopping Tip: Wheat flakes are simply wheat kernels that have been steamed and rolled, oatmeal-style. Look for them in natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 279 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 27 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 20 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 carbohydrate (other), 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010