Grandma Ginger's Fish Casserole
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Recipe developer Katie Webster's grandmother used to make a version of this dish with fresh-caught smallmouth bass from Vermont's Lake Champlain. Our updated version requires no fishing; just a trip to the supermarket for Pacific cod or tilapia.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped whole-wheat country bread, (about 1 slice)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until just starting to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the wine is slightly reduced, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Place fish on top of the onion and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Toss the bread with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl. Uncover the fish; top with the bread mixture and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 383 calories; 19 g fat (7 g sat, 10 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (48% daily value), Calcium (35% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- EatingWell Serves Two