Grandma Ginger's Fish Casserole
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Recipe developer Katie Webster's grandmother used to make a version of this dish with fresh-caught smallmouth bass from Vermont's Lake Champlain. Our updated version requires no fishing; just a trip to the supermarket for Pacific cod or tilapia.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped whole-wheat country bread, (about 1 slice)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until just starting to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the wine is slightly reduced, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Place fish on top of the onion and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Toss the bread with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl. Uncover the fish; top with the bread mixture and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 383 calories; 19 g fat (7 g sat, 10 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (48% daily value), Calcium (35% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two