Grandma Ginger's Fish Casserole
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Recipe developer Katie Webster's grandmother used to make a version of this dish with fresh-caught smallmouth bass from Vermont's Lake Champlain. Our updated version requires no fishing; just a trip to the supermarket for Pacific cod or tilapia.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped whole-wheat country bread, (about 1 slice)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until just starting to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the wine is slightly reduced, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Place fish on top of the onion and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Toss the bread with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl. Uncover the fish; top with the bread mixture and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 383 calories; 19 g fat (7 g sat, 10 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (48% daily value), Calcium (35% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell Serves Two