Grand Marnier Soufflé
A triple hit of orange—from marmalade, zest and liqueur—infuses this light souffle with warm citrus flavor.
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided, plus extra for preparing soufflé dish
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in a small heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in orange zest , orange juice and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is thick, 45 to 60 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in marmalade and orange liqueur. Transfer the soufflé base to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Position oven rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly coat a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray. Dust with sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; gradually increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk about one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the cooled soufflé base to lighten it; gently fold it back into the remaining whites. Turn into the prepared dish and smooth the top.
- Bake the soufflé until puffed and lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately.
Per serving: 151 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 158 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (38% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less