Grand Marnier Soufflé
A triple hit of orange—from marmalade, zest and liqueur—infuses this light souffle with warm citrus flavor.
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided, plus extra for preparing soufflé dish
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in a small heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in orange zest , orange juice and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is thick, 45 to 60 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in marmalade and orange liqueur. Transfer the soufflé base to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Position oven rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly coat a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray. Dust with sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; gradually increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk about one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the cooled soufflé base to lighten it; gently fold it back into the remaining whites. Turn into the prepared dish and smooth the top.
- Bake the soufflé until puffed and lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately.
Per serving: 151 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 158 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (38% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve