From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Yogurt replaces most of the whipped cream of a traditional fool, and rosewater imparts a delicate hint of fragrance.
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 pint gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain in the refrigerator until it measures 1 1/2 cups, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine gooseberries, sugar and water in a heavy saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the berries are very soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Puree in a food processor, then press the puree though a coarse-meshed sieve set over a mixing bowl, pressing hard to force everything but the seeds through the sieve. Stir in rose water. Chill until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Once the yogurt has drained, transfer it to a medium bowl. Partially fold the pureed gooseberries into the drained yogurt, leaving some swirls of puree and yogurt. Whip the cream and swirl it into the fool. Spoon into individual dessert dishes or goblets.
Per serving: 254 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 333 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fat-free milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)