From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Yogurt replaces most of the whipped cream of a traditional fool, and rosewater imparts a delicate hint of fragrance.
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 pint gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain in the refrigerator until it measures 1 1/2 cups, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine gooseberries, sugar and water in a heavy saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the berries are very soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Puree in a food processor, then press the puree though a coarse-meshed sieve set over a mixing bowl, pressing hard to force everything but the seeds through the sieve. Stir in rose water. Chill until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Once the yogurt has drained, transfer it to a medium bowl. Partially fold the pureed gooseberries into the drained yogurt, leaving some swirls of puree and yogurt. Whip the cream and swirl it into the fool. Spoon into individual dessert dishes or goblets.
Per serving: 254 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 333 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fat-free milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993