Good Egg Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Turkey sausage, potatoes and green chiles star in this easy, cheesy brunch casserole.
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, (1 pound), peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 pint low-fat cottage cheese, preferably small curd
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place oven rack in top third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon; transfer to a paper towel to drain, blotting the top with a second paper towel.
- Wipe the pan clean and add oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and sauté until tender and browned, 10 to 12 minutes. (Reduce heat if necessary to prevent scorching.). Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add cottage, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, chiles, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk to mix thoroughly. Add the cooked sausage, crumbling up any large pieces, and the potatoes; mix well. Pour into the prepared dish. Bake until golden on top and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 114 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (17% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- November/December 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)