Good Egg Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Turkey sausage, potatoes and green chiles star in this easy, cheesy brunch casserole.
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, (1 pound), peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 pint low-fat cottage cheese, preferably small curd
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place oven rack in top third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon; transfer to a paper towel to drain, blotting the top with a second paper towel.
- Wipe the pan clean and add oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and sauté until tender and browned, 10 to 12 minutes. (Reduce heat if necessary to prevent scorching.). Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add cottage, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, chiles, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk to mix thoroughly. Add the cooked sausage, crumbling up any large pieces, and the potatoes; mix well. Pour into the prepared dish. Bake until golden on top and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 114 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (17% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994