Good Egg Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Turkey sausage, potatoes and green chiles star in this easy, cheesy brunch casserole.
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, (1 pound), peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 pint low-fat cottage cheese, preferably small curd
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place oven rack in top third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon; transfer to a paper towel to drain, blotting the top with a second paper towel.
- Wipe the pan clean and add oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and sauté until tender and browned, 10 to 12 minutes. (Reduce heat if necessary to prevent scorching.). Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add cottage, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, chiles, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk to mix thoroughly. Add the cooked sausage, crumbling up any large pieces, and the potatoes; mix well. Pour into the prepared dish. Bake until golden on top and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 114 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (17% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- November/December 1994