Good Egg Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Turkey sausage, potatoes and green chiles star in this easy, cheesy brunch casserole.
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, (1 pound), peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 pint low-fat cottage cheese, preferably small curd
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place oven rack in top third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon; transfer to a paper towel to drain, blotting the top with a second paper towel.
- Wipe the pan clean and add oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and sauté until tender and browned, 10 to 12 minutes. (Reduce heat if necessary to prevent scorching.). Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add cottage, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, chiles, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk to mix thoroughly. Add the cooked sausage, crumbling up any large pieces, and the potatoes; mix well. Pour into the prepared dish. Bake until golden on top and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 114 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (17% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994