Good Egg Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Turkey sausage, potatoes and green chiles star in this easy, cheesy brunch casserole.
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, (1 pound), peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 pint low-fat cottage cheese, preferably small curd
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place oven rack in top third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon; transfer to a paper towel to drain, blotting the top with a second paper towel.
- Wipe the pan clean and add oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and sauté until tender and browned, 10 to 12 minutes. (Reduce heat if necessary to prevent scorching.). Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add cottage, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, chiles, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk to mix thoroughly. Add the cooked sausage, crumbling up any large pieces, and the potatoes; mix well. Pour into the prepared dish. Bake until golden on top and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 114 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (17% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- November/December 1994