From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Inspired by Spanish pureed gazpachos, this golden-yellow one is based on an idea of Greg Parks's at the Four Columns Inn in Newfane, Vermont.
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see Tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover, and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
- Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; and onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
Per serving: 104 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 803 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006