From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Inspired by Spanish pureed gazpachos, this golden-yellow one is based on an idea of Greg Parks's at the Four Columns Inn in Newfane, Vermont.
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see Tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover, and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
- Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; and onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
Per serving: 104 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 803 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006