From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Inspired by Spanish pureed gazpachos, this golden-yellow one is based on an idea of Greg Parks's at the Four Columns Inn in Newfane, Vermont.
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see Tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover, and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
- Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; and onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
Per serving: 104 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 803 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006