From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Inspired by Spanish pureed gazpachos, this golden-yellow one is based on an idea of Greg Parks's at the Four Columns Inn in Newfane, Vermont.
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see Tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover, and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
- Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; and onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
Per serving: 104 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 803 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006