Golden Chicken with Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Kids love this combination of refried white beans and chicken tenders. If you're concerned about making it too spicy, omit the jalapeno. Serve with extra cheese to sprinkle on top.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, or tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Combine cumin, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes (or salsa) and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher until creamy but still slightly chunky. Stir in cheese. Serve with the chicken.
Per serving: 205 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (31% daily value), Folate (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- February/March 2006