Golden Chicken with Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Kids love this combination of refried white beans and chicken tenders. If you're concerned about making it too spicy, omit the jalapeno. Serve with extra cheese to sprinkle on top.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, or tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Combine cumin, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes (or salsa) and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher until creamy but still slightly chunky. Stir in cheese. Serve with the chicken.
Per serving: 205 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (31% daily value), Folate (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- February/March 2006