Golden Chicken with Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Kids love this combination of refried white beans and chicken tenders. If you're concerned about making it too spicy, omit the jalapeno. Serve with extra cheese to sprinkle on top.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, or tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Combine cumin, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes (or salsa) and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher until creamy but still slightly chunky. Stir in cheese. Serve with the chicken.
Per serving: 205 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (31% daily value), Folate (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- February/March 2006