Golden Chicken with Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Kids love this combination of refried white beans and chicken tenders. If you're concerned about making it too spicy, omit the jalapeno. Serve with extra cheese to sprinkle on top.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, or tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Combine cumin, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes (or salsa) and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher until creamy but still slightly chunky. Stir in cheese. Serve with the chicken.
Per serving: 205 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (31% daily value), Folate (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- February/March 2006