Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Roasted Peppers & Onion Jam
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Why not double the onion jam to use for sandwiches and burgers throughout the week?
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons currants
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, preferably reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons olivada, (black olive spread)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they are very tender and light golden, 15 to 20 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if they are browning too quickly.) Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, currants, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Slice the baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the bottoms with goat cheese and the tops with olivada. Spoon the onion jam over the goat cheese, spreading evenly. Top with the roasted peppers and arugula. Set the bread tops on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The onion jam (Step 1) can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 386 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (36% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1996