Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Roasted Peppers & Onion Jam
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Why not double the onion jam to use for sandwiches and burgers throughout the week?
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons currants
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, preferably reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons olivada, (black olive spread)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they are very tender and light golden, 15 to 20 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if they are browning too quickly.) Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, currants, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Slice the baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the bottoms with goat cheese and the tops with olivada. Spoon the onion jam over the goat cheese, spreading evenly. Top with the roasted peppers and arugula. Set the bread tops on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The onion jam (Step 1) can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 386 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (36% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1996