Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Roasted Peppers & Onion Jam
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Why not double the onion jam to use for sandwiches and burgers throughout the week?
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons currants
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, preferably reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons olivada, (black olive spread)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they are very tender and light golden, 15 to 20 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if they are browning too quickly.) Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, currants, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Slice the baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the bottoms with goat cheese and the tops with olivada. Spoon the onion jam over the goat cheese, spreading evenly. Top with the roasted peppers and arugula. Set the bread tops on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The onion jam (Step 1) can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 386 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (36% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1996