Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Roasted Peppers & Onion Jam
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Why not double the onion jam to use for sandwiches and burgers throughout the week?
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons currants
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, preferably reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons olivada, (black olive spread)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they are very tender and light golden, 15 to 20 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if they are browning too quickly.) Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, currants, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Slice the baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the bottoms with goat cheese and the tops with olivada. Spoon the onion jam over the goat cheese, spreading evenly. Top with the roasted peppers and arugula. Set the bread tops on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The onion jam (Step 1) can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 386 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (36% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1996