Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Roasted Peppers & Onion Jam
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Why not double the onion jam to use for sandwiches and burgers throughout the week?
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons currants
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, preferably reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons olivada, (black olive spread)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they are very tender and light golden, 15 to 20 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if they are browning too quickly.) Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, currants, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Slice the baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally. Spread the bottoms with goat cheese and the tops with olivada. Spoon the onion jam over the goat cheese, spreading evenly. Top with the roasted peppers and arugula. Set the bread tops on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The onion jam (Step 1) can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 386 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (36% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1996