Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Tangy goat cheese and buttermilk team up in these flavorful mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 6 medium potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces goat cheese, cut into small pieces
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, swirling, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Stir in buttermilk and heat until just warm. (Do not overheat or it will curdle.)
- When potatoes are done, drain in a colander and return to the pan. Place pan over low heat and shake for about 1 minute to dry potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer. Add enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Stir in the goat cheese, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 165 mg sodium; 729 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other