Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Tangy goat cheese and buttermilk team up in these flavorful mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 6 medium potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces goat cheese, cut into small pieces
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, swirling, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Stir in buttermilk and heat until just warm. (Do not overheat or it will curdle.)
- When potatoes are done, drain in a colander and return to the pan. Place pan over low heat and shake for about 1 minute to dry potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer. Add enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Stir in the goat cheese, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 165 mg sodium; 729 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other