Goat Cheese Grits with Fresh Corn
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Take grits upscale by adding fresh corn, goat cheese and chives.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup quick grits (not instant; see Tips)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear; see Tips) or frozen
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (3 ounces), divided
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives or scallion greens
- Bring water, salt and pepper to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly pour in grits, stirring constantly. Stir in corn; return to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in half the goat cheese and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in chives (or scallions). Serve each portion sprinkled with some of the remaining cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle.
- To cut kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.
Per serving: 156 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 124 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2010