Gnocchi with Tomatoes, Pancetta & Wilted Watercress
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
We use just a touch of pancetta—cured Italian-style bacon—to balance the sweet tomatoes and peppery watercress. Make it a meal: A salad tossed with a red-wine vinaigrette completes dinner.
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound gnocchi, (see Shopping Tip)
- 4 ounces watercress, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (6 cups packed)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pan of water on to boil.
- Cook pancetta in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, sugar and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are almost completely broken down, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and salt. Remove from the heat.
- Cook gnocchi in the boiling water until they float, 3 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Place watercress in a colander and drain the gnocchi over the watercress, wilting it slightly. Add the gnocchi and watercress to the sauce in the pan; toss to combine. Serve immediately, with Parmesan.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: We like the texture of “shelf-stable” prepared gnocchi found in the Italian section of most supermarkets, but frozen and fresh refrigerated gnocchi also work well here.
Per serving: 377 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 329 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007