Glazed Sour Orange & Coconut Cakes
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This pudding-like gluten-free coconut cake recipe gets its amazing flavor and texture from pureed oranges. Sour oranges (aka Seville oranges) are ideal in these healthy coconut cakes because of their acidity and thin skin, but most citrus fruit will work. Coconut flour is high in fiber and absorbent, making it a great choice for moist desserts. Almond flour adds fabulous texture and nutty flavor. Look for gluten-free flours in natural-foods markets. (Recipe & photo by Aran Goyoaga; used by permission.)
- 1 pound sour oranges, kumquats or clementines
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup natural cane sugar, such as Turbinado
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (see Tip)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Chopped pistachios for garnish
- To prepare cakes: Place oranges (or kumquats or clementines) in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until very tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Let cool slightly, split open to remove any seeds. Transfer the whole fruit to a food processor or blender. Puree to a fine paste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 24 cannelé molds, 12 (6-ounce) ramekins or a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. (If using a loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.)
- Measure 1 cup of the puree into a bowl. (Discard any remaining puree.) Add eggs, sugar and coconut oil. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the bowl with the tip of a knife. Add coconut flour, almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Scoop into the prepared molds, ramekins or pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean: 18 to 24 minutes for cakes, 45 to 55 minutes for a loaf. Let cakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes; let loaf cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and invert onto a plate.
- To prepare glaze: Whisk confectioners’ sugar and orange juice in a bowl until smooth. Pour or brush over the cake(s). Serve sprinkled with pistachios, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store cool, unglazed cakes airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day.
- Coconut oil is solid at temperatures below 76°F. To melt solidified coconut oil, remove the lid and place the container in a bowl of very hot water; stir frequently until melted.
Per serving: 272 calories; 13 g fat (9 g sat, 1 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 28 g added sugars; 31 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014