Glazed Poppy-Seed Cake
The perennially popular poppy-seed cake looks dressy with a simple glaze—with very little fuss.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 6-cup or larger Bundt or tube pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the pan with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of granulate sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk egg in another bowl until frothy. Add granulate sugar, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Stir in the dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and whisk in enough of the lemon juice to make a smooth, thick glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let stand for a few minutes until set.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 6-cup (or larger) Bundt pan
Per serving: 275 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour