Glazed Poppy-Seed Cake
The perennially popular poppy-seed cake looks dressy with a simple glaze—with very little fuss.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 6-cup or larger Bundt or tube pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the pan with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of granulate sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk egg in another bowl until frothy. Add granulate sugar, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Stir in the dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and whisk in enough of the lemon juice to make a smooth, thick glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let stand for a few minutes until set.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 6-cup (or larger) Bundt pan
Per serving: 275 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more