Glazed Poppy-Seed Cake
The perennially popular poppy-seed cake looks dressy with a simple glaze—with very little fuss.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 6-cup or larger Bundt or tube pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the pan with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of granulate sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk egg in another bowl until frothy. Add granulate sugar, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Stir in the dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and whisk in enough of the lemon juice to make a smooth, thick glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let stand for a few minutes until set.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 6-cup (or larger) Bundt pan
Per serving: 275 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more