Glazed Poppy-Seed Cake
The perennially popular poppy-seed cake looks dressy with a simple glaze—with very little fuss.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 6-cup or larger Bundt or tube pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the pan with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of granulate sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk egg in another bowl until frothy. Add granulate sugar, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Stir in the dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and whisk in enough of the lemon juice to make a smooth, thick glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let stand for a few minutes until set.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 6-cup (or larger) Bundt pan
Per serving: 275 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique