Glazed Poppy-Seed Cake
The perennially popular poppy-seed cake looks dressy with a simple glaze—with very little fuss.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 6-cup or larger Bundt or tube pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the pan with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of granulate sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk egg in another bowl until frothy. Add granulate sugar, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Stir in the dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and whisk in enough of the lemon juice to make a smooth, thick glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let stand for a few minutes until set.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 6-cup (or larger) Bundt pan
Per serving: 275 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Making a satisfying, low-calorie dinner is easy with our one-...
It’s easy to make a healthy dinner recipe without dirtying...
Grab a box of your favorite whole-wheat linguine or penne...
Good news for people who eat breakfast—they tend to weigh...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
Cutlets—typically a thin slice of meat cut from the rib...
Whether you’re watching your finances or just trying to put a...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
There is no room for a roast that's anything less than...
Chocolate is such a rich and indulgent treat it almost seems...
Creamy blue cheese isn’t just for salads and dressing anymore...
Chopped, layered, pulsed or stirred, these easy dips are...
Ginger pairs well with soy sauce, chile peppers and garlic,...
Our healthy pumpkin dessert recipes are lighter twists on the...
A popular meat around the globe, lamb is raised and consumed...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more