Glazed Carrots with Currants
We eat so many raw carrots, it's easy to forget how excellent they can be cooked. Try them glazed in honey and spiked with cumin and cayenne for a good reminder.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 pounds carrots of similar size, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup currants
- Heat oil in a large deep sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add carrots, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add water and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the carrots begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add currants; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, until the carrots are glazed and tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Per serving: 108 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 558 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% dv), Fiber (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)