Glazed Carrots with Currants
We eat so many raw carrots, it's easy to forget how excellent they can be cooked. Try them glazed in honey and spiked with cumin and cayenne for a good reminder.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 pounds carrots of similar size, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup currants
- Heat oil in a large deep sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add carrots, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add water and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the carrots begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add currants; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, until the carrots are glazed and tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Per serving: 108 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 558 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% dv), Fiber (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable