Glazed Carrots with Currants
We eat so many raw carrots, it's easy to forget how excellent they can be cooked. Try them glazed in honey and spiked with cumin and cayenne for a good reminder.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 pounds carrots of similar size, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup currants
- Heat oil in a large deep sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add carrots, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add water and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the carrots begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add currants; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, until the carrots are glazed and tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Per serving: 108 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 558 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% dv), Fiber (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique