Glazed Carrots with Currants
We eat so many raw carrots, it's easy to forget how excellent they can be cooked. Try them glazed in honey and spiked with cumin and cayenne for a good reminder.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 pounds carrots of similar size, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup currants
- Heat oil in a large deep sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add carrots, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add water and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the carrots begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add currants; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, until the carrots are glazed and tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Per serving: 108 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 558 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% dv), Fiber (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique