Gingery Grilled Salmon Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
A ginger-lime marinade makes salmon sing.
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon fillet, (about 1 inch thick), cut into 4 pieces, skin on, pin bones removed
- Watercress & Pickled Ginger Salad, untossed (recipe follows)
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Whisk together yogurt, ginger, garlic, lime juice, lime zest, honey, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place salmon in a shallow glass dish and pour the marinade over it, turning the salmon to coat on all sides. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Meanwhile, prepare a charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill. (Do not use a grill pan--salmon will stick.)
- Oil the grill rack (see tip). Place the salmon, skin-side up, on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes. Using 2 metal spatulas, carefully turn the salmon pieces over and cook just until opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Remove the salmon from the grill. Slip off the skin.
- Toss Watercress & Pickled Ginger Salad with dressing and divide among 4 plates. Top with a piece of grilled salmon. Garnish with lime wedges. Serve immediately. Watercress & Pickled Ginger Salad Active time: 10 minutes | Total: 10 minutes 1 clove garlic, crushed 1/3 cup drained pickled ginger plus 1 tablespoon liquid (see Ingredient note) 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or rice-wine vinegar 1 tablespoon canola oil 1 teaspoon honey Freshly ground pepper to taste 6 cups stemmed, washed and dried watercress 4 scallions, chopped
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef's knife. Place in a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add ginger liquid, lime juice (or vinegar), oil, honey and pepper; whisk or shake until blended.
- Place watercress, scallions and pickled ginger in a large bowl. Just before serving, toss with dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Pickled ginger is found at health-food stores, Asian markets and in the supermarket produce department.
Per serving: 398 calories; 23 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 1 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 783 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)