Gingery Coffee Cake
Ginger lovers will embrace the double-hit of ground and crystallized ginger in this flavorful coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix yogurt, molasses and oil in a small bowl. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda into a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat brown sugar and fruit puree fat replacement in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add egg and beat until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg white and continue beating another 2 minutes. Fold in half of the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended. Fold in half of the yogurt mixture. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and yogurt mixture. Fold in ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly with the spatula and push batter 1/4 inch up the sides of pan to encourage level rising. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Per serving: 238 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 245 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique