Gingery Coffee Cake
Ginger lovers will embrace the double-hit of ground and crystallized ginger in this flavorful coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix yogurt, molasses and oil in a small bowl. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda into a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat brown sugar and fruit puree fat replacement in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add egg and beat until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg white and continue beating another 2 minutes. Fold in half of the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended. Fold in half of the yogurt mixture. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and yogurt mixture. Fold in ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly with the spatula and push batter 1/4 inch up the sides of pan to encourage level rising. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Per serving: 238 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 245 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique