Gingery Coffee Cake
Ginger lovers will embrace the double-hit of ground and crystallized ginger in this flavorful coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix yogurt, molasses and oil in a small bowl. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda into a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat brown sugar and fruit puree fat replacement in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add egg and beat until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg white and continue beating another 2 minutes. Fold in half of the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended. Fold in half of the yogurt mixture. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and yogurt mixture. Fold in ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly with the spatula and push batter 1/4 inch up the sides of pan to encourage level rising. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Per serving: 238 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 245 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique