Gingery Coffee Cake
Ginger lovers will embrace the double-hit of ground and crystallized ginger in this flavorful coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix yogurt, molasses and oil in a small bowl. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda into a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat brown sugar and fruit puree fat replacement in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add egg and beat until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg white and continue beating another 2 minutes. Fold in half of the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended. Fold in half of the yogurt mixture. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and yogurt mixture. Fold in ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly with the spatula and push batter 1/4 inch up the sides of pan to encourage level rising. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Per serving: 238 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 245 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)