Gingery Coffee Cake
Ginger lovers will embrace the double-hit of ground and crystallized ginger in this flavorful coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix yogurt, molasses and oil in a small bowl. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda into a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat brown sugar and fruit puree fat replacement in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add egg and beat until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg white and continue beating another 2 minutes. Fold in half of the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended. Fold in half of the yogurt mixture. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and yogurt mixture. Fold in ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly with the spatula and push batter 1/4 inch up the sides of pan to encourage level rising. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Per serving: 238 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 245 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique