Gingered Pumpkin Flans
From EatingWell: November 1997
A touch of fresh ginger adds dimension to these pumpkin flans.
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for the water bath.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, until caramel turns amber, 5 to 7 minutes. (Watch so that it does not burn.) Carefully pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins and tilt to coat insides evenly. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, ginger and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Stir in low-fat and evaporated milks. Pour into prepared ramekins. Skim off any air bubbles.
- Place a folded kitchen towel in a roasting pan. Place ramekins on towel. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the outsides of the ramekins.
- Bake flans until a knife inserted in their centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove ramekins from water and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan and invert into shallow dessert bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 230 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, pies & tarts
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November 1997