Gingered Pumpkin Flans
From EatingWell: November 1997
A touch of fresh ginger adds dimension to these pumpkin flans.
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for the water bath.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, until caramel turns amber, 5 to 7 minutes. (Watch so that it does not burn.) Carefully pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins and tilt to coat insides evenly. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, ginger and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Stir in low-fat and evaporated milks. Pour into prepared ramekins. Skim off any air bubbles.
- Place a folded kitchen towel in a roasting pan. Place ramekins on towel. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the outsides of the ramekins.
- Bake flans until a knife inserted in their centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove ramekins from water and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan and invert into shallow dessert bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 230 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, pies & tarts
- November 1997