Gingered Pumpkin Flans
From EatingWell: November 1997
A touch of fresh ginger adds dimension to these pumpkin flans.
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for the water bath.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, until caramel turns amber, 5 to 7 minutes. (Watch so that it does not burn.) Carefully pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins and tilt to coat insides evenly. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, ginger and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Stir in low-fat and evaporated milks. Pour into prepared ramekins. Skim off any air bubbles.
- Place a folded kitchen towel in a roasting pan. Place ramekins on towel. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the outsides of the ramekins.
- Bake flans until a knife inserted in their centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove ramekins from water and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan and invert into shallow dessert bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 230 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, pies & tarts
- November 1997