Gingered Pumpkin Flans
From EatingWell: November 1997
A touch of fresh ginger adds dimension to these pumpkin flans.
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for the water bath.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, until caramel turns amber, 5 to 7 minutes. (Watch so that it does not burn.) Carefully pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins and tilt to coat insides evenly. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, ginger and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Stir in low-fat and evaporated milks. Pour into prepared ramekins. Skim off any air bubbles.
- Place a folded kitchen towel in a roasting pan. Place ramekins on towel. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the outsides of the ramekins.
- Bake flans until a knife inserted in their centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove ramekins from water and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan and invert into shallow dessert bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 230 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, pies & tarts
- November 1997