Gingered Pumpkin Flans
From EatingWell: November 1997
A touch of fresh ginger adds dimension to these pumpkin flans.
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for the water bath.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, until caramel turns amber, 5 to 7 minutes. (Watch so that it does not burn.) Carefully pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins and tilt to coat insides evenly. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, ginger and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Stir in low-fat and evaporated milks. Pour into prepared ramekins. Skim off any air bubbles.
- Place a folded kitchen towel in a roasting pan. Place ramekins on towel. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the outsides of the ramekins.
- Bake flans until a knife inserted in their centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove ramekins from water and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan and invert into shallow dessert bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 230 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, pies & tarts
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November 1997