Gingered Couscous with Chickpeas
Whole-wheat couscous is as fast and easy to prepare as regular couscous. Here, it makes a delightful simple side dish or stuffing for baked winter squash halves.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and stir until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Add ginger and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add curry powder and stir until it is toasted, about 30 seconds longer. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, honey, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous; remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the couscous and stir in cilantro (or parsley).
Per serving: 177 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 51 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient