Gingered Couscous with Chickpeas
Whole-wheat couscous is as fast and easy to prepare as regular couscous. Here, it makes a delightful simple side dish or stuffing for baked winter squash halves.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and stir until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Add ginger and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add curry powder and stir until it is toasted, about 30 seconds longer. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, honey, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous; remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the couscous and stir in cilantro (or parsley).
Per serving: 177 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 51 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient