Gingered Couscous with Chickpeas
Whole-wheat couscous is as fast and easy to prepare as regular couscous. Here, it makes a delightful simple side dish or stuffing for baked winter squash halves.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and stir until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Add ginger and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add curry powder and stir until it is toasted, about 30 seconds longer. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, honey, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous; remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the couscous and stir in cilantro (or parsley).
Per serving: 177 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 51 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient